Saturday, December 16, 2006

Proper ladgeful, that!

I learnt a new word last night.

Walking the kids home after Kidz Klub, we were discussing the lack of confectionary available at the close of the party, meaning that a couple of kids didn't get a box (although I think Shelagh had an extra secret stash so everyone got one in the end)... Anyway, I suggested that perhaps maybe the lack was caused by some children taking two boxes (I don't believe this for a minute - just simply more kids than boxes!)... well, this was greeted by a shriek of 'eee, that's proper ladgeful, that!'

Us leaders looked at each other, looked at the girl in question, looked at each other again, and then enquired as to the meaning of the word just uttered... And so, the definition...

ladgeful (a): disgraceful, really bad, shameful

I believe it is a geordie word, probably most use by the chav population... but I think I like it.
So - task for the day: to correctly use the word 'ladgeful' in normal conversation.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you say that you are describing something as ladgeful/shameful? If so, would that not make the word an adjective and not a noun? If it were a noun, it would be "the ladgeful" or "a ladgeful".

doonhamer geordie said...

fairy-nuff... I wrote it in a hurry and wasn't paying sufficient attention - should be correct now! Would this particular grammar stickler live in Whitley Bay by any chance??

That Hideous Man said...

The pedants' revolt pehaps?! :-)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't possibly comment on my whereabouts.

Anonymous said...

wherever you are, you should put down your copy of "eats shoots and leaves" and get out more... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, making this personal now, are we?!! I am on my way out tonight, having baked a superb yule log for the party. Stopping off somewhere else before the party too. Had two Christmas meals out on Saturday!! I'm just a party animal, me!!

Hope you have a most enjoyable Christmas.

Anonymous said...

"A party animal"? As long as you're sure whether that's a similie or a metaphor I hope you have a great Christmas! ;-))

Anonymous said...

If you need to know the difference between a simile (no third "i" in simile by the way)and a metaphor, a simile will always have the words "like" or " as" in it.

X is like y, e.g. her hair is like straw.

A metaphor is when x is y, e.g. party animal. I am not literally a party animal, you understand.

Seems like you not only need a few grammar lessons, but spelling lessons too. What we grammar sticklers have to put up with!

I bet you even put apostrophes where they're not needed, e.g. CD's or 40's. A heinous crime!!

Have a great Christmas, right back at ya.