Sunday, February 03, 2008

London

Mrs D and I are just back from a fantastic 36 hours in London, courtesy of some free return 1st class tickets on National Express East Coast.


Lunch at Covent Garden with string quintet...

...then off to see Billy Elliot at the Victoria Palace Theatre - the way the show manages to capture the grit of the miners' strike and 1980's Co Durham, with the magic of a boy's dreams and ambitions is fantastic... the language is unsanitised, but adds to the reality.

Dinner at a lovely little restaurant in Smithfield - special thanks to our waitress who saved me from a fate worse than sweetbreads! One of the other waiters had helped us with some of the menu items (all written in French), and wrongly told us that rognons de veaux were veal steaks... how wrong he was! I'm still reeling from the shock of what might have been on my plate!


A short after dinner stroll along the Thames near our hotel at London Bridge.


Sunday morning after breakfast - and onto the river heading east towards Greenwich on the river boat from London Bridge...


Tower Bridge, looking west towards the city


The Traitors' Gate hasn't been used for a while...


The Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich


The structure formerly known as the Millennium Dome (now the O2 arena), with Canary Wharf in the background


The roof of the Millennium Dome

Then inside the dome to see 3000 year old treasures from the tomb of King Tutankhamun and some of the other Egyptian kings and queens - an amazing exhibition... I couldn't quite believe that the stuff was so old - much of it looked like it was made yesterday, particularly the wooden items... Well worth the trip if you can - it runs till August.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My French being somewhat weak, I required the use of http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr to discover what you might have had for dinner. Sounds yummy to me! Mix it with a bit of steak and surround with pastry....

Unknown said...

Sounds like a cracking weekend, I've heard about the Tutankhamen exhibition too. My last placement school sent several groups there for their Egyptian teaching but I sadly missed the trip due to being back in uni, grrrr!