Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Daylight robbery?

We went shopping today with McGrew and Cuthbert for school shoes.

We found some.
We're now £60 worse off than we were!

I'd be grateful if anybody could explain to me how a wee pair of school shoes for a 4 / 5 year old can cost £30! Could it be the toy incorporated in the sole? Or perhaps the lights in the heel and the wee button to turn them on or off?

Is there anywhere you can get just a pair of black school shoes without gimmicks?

When I was young.... (no, I won't go on any more!!)

3 comments:

Stuart and Pauline said...

£30!!!! You got off lightly. Alice's first pair were £36 for a 13 month old. There was an article about it on breakfast news yesterday (BBC). They said that basically the shoe manufacturers are stinging the customers because they know that children need to wear a certain type of shoe (decent back and a decent fastening).

Go to Jump in Gosforth, I've certainly seen just plain black shoes, but you are likely to have to pay the £20-£40 for them.

It is an absolute rip off. I have complained about this rather a lot too!!! I bet you can't imagine that, eh?!

That Hideous Man said...

£30 - you did indeed do well! What's worse is that the sweatshop workers who actually made them saw virtually none of that.....

lynn said...

Mmm,I'd also recommend Brantano. Their own makes of school shoes are pretty good.

Great to hear the school news though.
:-)