Thursday, April 16, 2009

Legal at last

An epic day today.
McGrew, Cuthbert and Dibble got a new name.
They're now legally Masters 'DHG'.

The day didn't go without its hitches, mind you!
We didn't get stuck in traffic.
None of us was ill.
We didn't get lost.
We weren't late.
We didn't break down.
We didn't get the wrong day....

... but the boys' social worker did!

Yes, as incomprehensible as it may seem, she put the wrong date in her diary.
So no social worker, no adoption hearing.

Thankfully she managed to organise one of her colleagues to come in her stead, and we had a very accommodating judge who agreed to wait. So instead of things happening at 10 o'clock this morning, it was nearer 11.15. And what a long hour that was!

But the boys now have lovely certificates, which they are so proud of. And the judge gave them each a tractor too! Dibble asked for the 'geen' one, and being the youngest, he got it!

So the end of one chapter of the boys' lives.
And the start of a new one.
With a new name.
Adopted into our family.
Forever.

3 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

Remarkable.....

lynn said...

To have "witnessed" this wonderful story unfolding over the past year is an enormous privilege. You have changed these little lives forever and I feel almost proud to know you.

Its been on the tip of my tongue for 6 years now to say something in church services about fostering and adoption and I have never quite managed it but it seems to me as the ultimate example of loving out loud, transforming someone's life chances and expectations forever. I know its not for everyone and I recognse that you responded to a call from the heavenly Father himself.
I really do long and pray for more folks llike yourself. One of my best friends in my previous church is becoming a short term emergency foster carer to children under 3 and I pray for her often about this.

Bless you both and I pray a real overflow and abundance of love within your home. xxx

doonhamer geordie said...

Thanks for your comments, Lynn - I truthfully don't feel particulary special - I just know that we heard God speak, held on to his promises to us, and trusted him to bring us through - where we couldn't often see the way... It's incredible to think that before the beginning of time, God knew we'd be these boys mum and dad - I don't think I'll ever be able to get my head round that!
Thanks for your prayers and encouragement - it means so much to know people have journeyed with us...