Saturday, December 29, 2007

An evening with thathideousman

Mrs D and I had a lovely evening yesterday with thathideousman, his wife and children, Boris, Noris and Doris. The evening started well, with coffee and good chat - we hadn't seen thathideousman for about 7 years, so lots to catch up on. Boris, Noris and Doris were a tad shy, but understandably so, having never met us before!

As the evening went on, young Boris and Noris decided to threaten us both with decapitation, prompting Mrs D to hide in the cupboard under the stairs. This led me to tell a slight untruth to young Noris, and explained that Mrs D had escaped and gone home. Noris was having none of this explanation, and proceeded to hunt for Mrs D, so the beheading could be done.

Mrs D was eventually found by Noris, but before the execution could proceed, I was accused of telling lies. My sentence? 5 minutes on the naughty seat!

This seat is in the porch, and there was no escape from my punishment! After 3 minutes, the door was opened, and I was reminded that 2 minutes remained. It was then suggested that I ask whether the time was up yet... I later learned that had I posed this question, I would have been subjected to an additional minute on the naughty seat!

After a good 5 minutes, I decided to get up and join everyone else in the kitchen - to much horror from young Noris, who promptly sentenced me to an additonal 10 minutes for getting up without permission! I was luckily pardoned by thathideousman! It would have been interesting to have seen the expression on thathideousman's wife's face as she returned from work to see me on the naughty seat!

Later I was forced to the underworld by Boris and Noris, with all manner of cushions, blankets and coats piled on my head - there was no use in protesting - there was no escape! Thankfully bedtime called and I managed to find my way back to this world!

It was lovely to spend the evening with thathideousman's family - catching up and sharing stories of old times... here's hoping we don't leave it another 7 years before we meet again!

2 comments:

That Hideous Man said...

Yes indeed - it was good to see you and your wife (Vincent?).

I overheard the kids today debating whether you were "cool", "a bit naughty" or both!

doonhamer geordie said...

Definitely both!